Friday 11 December 2009

Ter Sami and Jigalong =]

This shall be prior to the blog on my poem, as I wish to keep some things in my head :)

We were talking about languages yesterday, were we not? Xanthe takes everything seriously. I was only saying stuff on Wikipedia =/ maybe a bit mockingly. Or something. I was told to stop talking about it. But I shall not! Well, I want to talk about dying languages. =]

Can you imagine speaking a language where's there's only one other person in the entire world that completely understands you? It must be pretty weird. In the Kola Peninsular:

Kola Peninsular is here.
|
|
v

...2 people speak Ter Sami. A language with such a small population and without any actual writing systems or educational facilities has little hope of being revived. =/

Of the original eleven Sami languages, only 9 continue to exist, probably soon to become 8.

I think we're quite lucky to have revived Welsh before it actually died out. Welsh is spoken by 0.014% of the world. Isn't that like amazing?!?! :P


And now onto this place in Australia =] Are you excited by a place called Jigalong?


I am.

Interesting fact you may not know about Jigalong :P

The community starred as part of the Australia drama film, Rabbit-Proof Fence. The film features the struggles of Aborigines in Australia due to the persecutions from the Whites.

File:Rabbit-Proof Fence movie poster.jpg

Moi

3 comments:

beffyralph said...

Ooh, you're onto a topic I go mad about.

I think it's so sad when languages die, but I love that new ones are still being made.

Birth and death :)

Xanthe said...

I can't believe you have the cheek to say I take everything seriously when you are obviously the one who is unwilling to drop it.

GL said...

You complain about me bitching when i put names in, and you complain when i don't

Can't win can I? Typical :P